[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:37:21 -0700
Craig Cunningham wrote:

>The viewfinder on the E-500 (for me at least) is
>pretty much as Phil Askey describes it, "Looking
>through the viewfinder is unfortunately like looking
>down a tunnel, the actual focusing screen is very
>small. I found it difficult to check the focus
>distance (when focusing manually for instance) and
>also to even make out smaller detail, it's the
>smallest viewfinder I've seen on any recent digital
>SLR..."

I think that in the feature wars, the manufacturers have largely
forgotten one factor. That's the number of older folks in the market for
DSLRs, that baby boom thing, and even those like me that preceed it. For
many of those folks, eyesight issues make the viewfinder a priority,
even with AF. They want to clearly see what they are taking a picture of.

I think Can*n is going to sell a sh**load of 5Ds for that reason alone.
People are going to go into a store, look through the viewfinders of a
bunch of cameras, gulp at the extra $1,000 and plunk down the dough for
the one they can see through.

><snip>
>As long as you've got sharp eyesight and you don't
>have an issue with using the E-500 without eyeglasses
>(I found the eye relief lacking some too), I believe
>that the E-500 the best deal out there by quite a
>margin. Everything the salesperson at the camera store
>told me yesterday (I know her and she's fairly
>knowledgeable) is that the ZD two lens kit (14-45 &
>40-150) beats out all of the other manufacturers' kit
>lenses easily when it comes to optical performance.

I think you are right. Looks like Oly may finally have the winner that
will assure the future of 4/3. Mighty fine and competitive looking
camera and kits.

Moose