[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:52:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Craig Cunningham wrote:

> The viewfinder on the E-500 (for me at least) is
> pretty much as Phil Askey describes it, "Looking
> through the viewfinder is unfortunately like looking
> down a tunnel, the actual focusing screen is very
> small. I found it difficult to check the focus
> distance (when focusing manually for instance) and
> also to even make out smaller detail, it's the
> smallest viewfinder I've seen on any recent digital
> SLR..."

Face it, we're not going to see any consumer grade DSLR's with a viewfinder
that looks anything like the old OM's.  It's not a priority.  The ability to
manually focus a lens is not something that the majority of buyers want or
need.  Viewfinders are there primarily for composing and framing, not focusing;
that's what the AF is for.  If you're looking for something comparable to
an OM viewfinder then you're going to have to move up to the pro series and
pay the extra cost.
                                        -mark