[OM] Re: Favorite portrait lens for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Favorite portrait lens for OM
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:10:37 -0700
Jay Drew wrote:

>Moose,
>Do you have a preference between the Kiron and the Tamron?  Doesn't the
>Tamron & Vivitar require an adapter to go to 1:1?

As you say, the Kiron goes directly to 1:1 and I like the slightly
longer focal length. Because of the double focusing helix and longer fl,
it is noticabaly larger and heavier than the Tamron. It also takes 52mm
filters, which doesn't match any standard Oly size. Still it's my
favorite for nature pics.

The Tamron 90/2.5s do indeed need an adapter, which is just a 45mm
extention tube with female adaptall mount on front and male adaptall on
the rear. One can more easily use OM mount tubes and leave the adaptall
on the lens. One model takes 49mm filters and the other 55mm. Optically
I think they are the same, just styling changes. I have used the 90/2.5
a lot for flat copy work making slides for a professor friend. It's
really a superb lens, but the 1:2 limit without an accessory keeps it at
home to use on the copy stand most of the time.

The Tamron 90/2.8 that Walt posted about is a different, later, design,
also excellent, which does go to 1:1 directly. There is also the Vivitar
lens of the same specs, which has a good rep and is likely the Tamron in
different clothes.

>Just curious, I'll never be able to justify to the family hocking a kid to
>buy a Zuiko 90, and I already have a Kiron.

You already have one as good as they get. Don't worry, be happy.

Moose