[OM] Re: Favorite portrait lens for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Favorite portrait lens for OM
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:21:50 -0400
Walt Wayman wrote:

> BUT -- big "but" too -- now that I've got an E-1, I find the 90/2
> Zuiko to be a killer lens, the equivalent of a 180/2 macro,
> essentially doing the 1:1 thing because of the 2X factor.  For some
> reason, with film, I can't tell it and the Tamron apart, but the
> Zuiko just seems to work way more better with the E-1 -- a touch of
> Zuikomagic maybe.

The resolution achievable with 35mm lenses has generally been limited by
the film and not the lens.  If the E-1's sensor was expanded to full
frame 35mm size with the same pixel density it would be almost 19MP
instead of 5.

Just a guesss but what you may be seeing is that the Zuiko 90 has higher
resolution than the Tamron and is able to make better use of those tiny
pixels than the Tamron.  The resolution limits imposed by film may have
made the superior characteristics of the Zuiko immaterial.

Chuck Norcutt