[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:20:45 +0200
Simon,

>>As regards detail on digital and film, an 8Mp Canon 20D clearly
>>surpasses what you can record on 35mm Provia.
>
> I'm afraid that absolutely nothing I have ever read or seen suggests to
> me that that might possibly be true.

An A5 (15x20cm) printout of a cheap 3mp camera that I had made recently
showed far, far less grain than a Portra 800 print made by the same
photography shop.  It was very close to a Portra 160VC print.  There was
a little bit to be seen at the edges of objects, but it was less
noticable from a normal viewing distance than the Portra 160VC grain.

I was surprised as well.

Unfortunately, that particular cheap 3mp camera (a Minolta) has an
extreme shutter lag and terrible colour balance, and the owner isn't the
best photographer, but the resolution was more than sufficient for A5
prints.

Peter.