[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: "Bruce Nolting" <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:20:41 -0600
An interesting read.  His best digital images seem to be neck and neck
with his best 35mm images to me.  And the medium format images blow them
both away, of course.  It seems to me that the performance of the 35mm
images is due more to scanner limitations than film limitations.  I
suspect that if he had sent good slides over to West Coast Imaging and
had them scanned on the Heidelberg Tango drum scanner he would have
quite a pleasant surprise.  Yes, that costs more money than processing a
RAW file in PS, but so what.  I can process a heck of a lot of E-6 and
send the best slides to West Coast for scanning for the many thousands
of dollars it would cost me to convert completely to digital (and then
keep up with the new models every year as the old ones malfunctioned).
I'm quite sure John H. will be able to keep my OM's running until I'm
too decrepit to use them.  My old Yashica TLR is still almost like new
after 40 years and my 4x5 was made in 1938 or thereabouts - both of them
will probably last my grandkids to the end of their days.  I'm not
anti-digital, I use it all the time and there are certainly areas where
it works best.  I couldn't run my web biz without it.  I just find that
film gives me both better quality and better value when it comes to my
"serious" photography - primarily landscapes and nature stuff.  That's
for color work.  For black and white there's still nothing that even
comes close to a well done FB print toned in selenium (IMHO, of course).
The fact that I like getting in there and playing with the chemicals
much more than sitting in front of a screen is just a bonus.

Anyway, digital is certainly here to stay.  So, I might add, is film.

Just my 2 photons worth.

Bruce