[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:14:34 -0500
> The trouble is, they're scanning film again.
>
> Comparison of a digitalised analogue media with pure digital media is as
> absurd as the other way around.
Simon,

Thank you. I tried to make this point a year or so ago, when this subject
came up. As best as I can tell, there was only one valid argument for this
process: it's the only way you can evaluate performance on the internet. Now
exactly how you can make valid judgements based on what is seen on a
computer screen can only validate my position that with time, we grow to
accept ever decreasing standards. In other words, remember the arguments
over 35 vs. 2 1/4? There were good reasons for using 35, but none that
realted to quality.

>No, it's not absurd at all.  Your position makes perfect sense if you do
>all of your work as slides and view it all via an analogue projector.
>Most of the world, however, makes and views prints despite the fact that
>the dynamic range is considerably reduced as soon as the image hits the
>paper.

Chuxk,

I don't buy this, either. Although a projected slide is a thing of beauty,
there are generally visible differences between optical prints from negs
(presuming you can't get type R anywhere), scanned and printed negs, and
digital camera files. I can see a difference, and I know others that can,
too. That's not to say that all scan and print systems are bad, just that
there is a difference. One is a change in the nature of the colors, and
another is less apparent sharpness, or perhaps, a different kind of
sharpness.

Again, no matter whether film or chrome, it simply isn't a fair comparison
of digital files vs. a scanned and printed film. That, of course, precludes
any comparison other than one made in person, but who said life is fair...

I'm considering having a digital file written to a film recorder, and having
a print made to compare with an optical print.

Bill Pearce