[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:21:55 +0100 (BST)
thanks for the advice,
I do use 16x sampling and vuescan, I even built my own ICC profiles... I
played around with unsharp mask but found it mostly just increased the
noise and grain with little other effect.
I will certainly try the method you have documented

> 1. Create a copy of the layer. If you've worked with multiple layers
> up to this point you'd have to flatten them now (I leave sharpening to
> the end because of this).
>
> 2. On the new layer run the high pass filter (I believe it's under
> filter then other). I usually use a 10 pixel radius. You'll get a very
> grey picture.
>
> 3. Set the layer's blending mode to "hard light". This will give a
> very over-sharpened result.
>
> 4. Adjust the transparency to adjust the sharpening effect. I find 75%
> is usually fine but sometimes go as low as 50%.
>
> You can play with soft light and pin light but I find hard light works
> best. Soft light sometimes gives a very good effect but sometimes I
> find it's not as sharp as I'd like so I find it better to start with
> too much and then dial it back with the transparency.
>
> What I like about this is that the sharpening is in a separate layer
> so it's very "tweakable". It's especially nice if you send digital
> files out for printing as it allows you to adjust the sharpening at a
> later date after reviewing the print.
>
> But obviously dynamic range can be a big problem. If your scanner
> supports it, try using multi-sampling. It should pull out a bit more
> shadow detail as it will clean up the noise in the shadows. I'd also
> recommend scanning in 16-bit/channel mode as this tends to give you
> more leeway in where stuff gets clipped. Some scanners also have
> exposure control and you may be able to do a 2nd pass with a "long
> exposure" which can help pull out more shadow detail.

I tried two pass with vuescan a while ago, seems to work on negatives but
with slides there was a lot of flare.

Thanks for the sharpening advice!!
James