[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:34:33 -0700
Parzival Herzog wrote:

>>Film profiles make a huge difference for VueScan output with neg film.
>>These sample scans with and without a film profile are just as they came
>>out of VueScan on a Can*n FS4000, except for downsizing
>>http://galleries.moosemystic.net/VuesProf/index.htm. I did a scanner
>>profile with a slide IT8 target and it didn't seem to make much
>>difference with negs. Haven't tried to see what it does with slides yet.
>>

>Other than the built-in negative film profiles that come with Vuescan

Those aren't really profiles, but leftovers from an earlier, less
effective approach. They aren't anywhere near as effective as ICC
profiles. Also, ICC profiles are an international standard that can be
used with many programs.

>, where do you obtain other profiles? Being a confirmed grocery store film
>photographer (i.e. poor,) I would sure like ones for Fuji Superia 100, 400 &
>800.

I'm sure there must be some out there, but I don't know where. I posted
a few on a site Tom Trottier started for swapping profiles, but they
were all for Kodak and Agfa.

I've made my all own so far. It's quite easy for films that are still
available. You get an IT8 target, take a shot of it, scan it and create
the profile all in VueScan. It's all explained in the "Film Profiling
with IT8 Targets" section of the VueScan User's Guide. The advantage of
doing my own without a scanner profile engaged is that they compensate
for both film and scanner at once. The source for targets that VueScan
suggests is excellent and the cheapest. You can pay with PayPal and Wolf
sends them out right away. Very quick and convenient.

Moose