[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 06:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry folks, I couldn't stay out of this conversation any
longer...

If you consider the final output and ONLY the final output as
the deciding factor of "which is better", well the results will
suprise you.

Projection:  This is part of my business, supplying images for
use in projection systems as well as selling and installing said
systems.  Brightness and dynamic range?  Unless you are in a
blackened room the digital projection wins hands down.  A "large
venue" class 4000-5000 lumen projector on a 16' screen is
something to go "wow" at when seeing your prized photos up on
the screen.  However, for sheer detail a 35mm slide projector
will win, hands down.

Color Print:  This is a toss-up.  I'm getting better results
with my E-1 (5MP) than I ever did shooting Portra films in my OM
gear.  It's no contest.  However, a high-quality scan of Velvia
50 or K64 just blows away anything I've ever gotten with
digital. Provia/Velvia 100 just has too much laterial smear to
retain the detail possible in the format.  If you apply
latest/greatest digital techniques to scanning slide film to
mimick what the digital cameras are doing, (dumbing down the
image), you will actually achieve a better looking scan in the
end and end up with a relatively grain-free image.

B&W Print:  Get real!  You think that digital ANYTHING is going
to match a quality B&W analog imaging process?  I can get four
more steps on the res chart as compared to a 2700dpi scan of the
same negative.  That, folks, is significant!   The E-1 is a few
res chart steps away from it too.  We won't get into paper
quality or tonal issues.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs