[OM] Re: Film users: Questions on Bronica SQ-A camera / other 6x6 camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Film users: Questions on Bronica SQ-A camera / other 6x6 cameras???
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:20:54 -0400
James, my experience is limited to a system I co-used with the owner
of a studio for which I worked.  He had an extensive SQ-A system.
Optics were excellent, VF quite good when used with Maxwell screens
and generally reliable except for the backs.  Even with regular
service and rebuilds, they were simply not trustworthy.

Please understand that this is the only time I worked regularly with
SQ-A, but he had over a dozen backs, all purchased new and at least
one was in the shop and any given time and we never knew which one
would fail when.

It was that experience that convinced my to buy Hasselblad because I
wanted to be able to trust that the pix I worked to make were properly
recorded.  It never failed (though I did some dumb things with it on
occasion).

Of course if you're shooting for your own pleasure and not in the high
pressure situation of  weddings, you might enjoy an SQ-A as it's a
nice camera to use.  I'd suggest an SQ-Ai because it was the last body
and best overall iteration.

A question just occurred to me; does anyone know if Bronica addressed
the service/parts/support issue when they announced discontinuation of
the line?

my two lux worth/ScottGee1