[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:57:30 -0300

> I have come to think that any kind of projection as entertainment is
> suspect. In certain settings I expect to be lectured at, but I would
> not set up a lectern and do that in my home. In essence a slide show
> is an audio visual lecture.
>
> Just my two cents.

> Winsor

For the most part, especially in our culture, I tend to agree with you. You
have to be very careful not to over do it, and you must have a very special
interest group (more than just a general interest in the photography) to
endure more than one tray of slides.

However, I had a very interesting experience a few days ago in the country
of Bolivia. As some here may know, I was part of a group doing some mission
work in very remote villages of the Andes mountains of that country. In at
least two of these villages, we sat up a portable generator, a projector,
and a large screen, and showed the people pictures of themselves that I had
taken earlier in the day with my C5050. (Obviously, it could only be done
with digital.) I just cannot overemphasize the delight these dear folks had
in viewing pictures of themselves on a screen. I've no doubt most of them
had never had their picture taken before, nor had they seen a picture of
themselves, let alone a large projected picture of themselves. It was just a
thrill to watch the reaction and see the joy on the face of these people.
For these people (and there are a few million of them in that country alone)
who are still waitng for electricity to come to their village, there
certainly was no problem in holding their attention with a slide show. It
was an experience I won't soon forget.
Wayne