[OM] Re: Canon, Fuji, Konica-Minolta, Nikon and Sony recall

Subject: [OM] Re: Canon, Fuji, Konica-Minolta, Nikon and Sony recall
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:07:13 -0400
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> What I found interesting was that Fujifilm issued a similar technical
> notice for similar symptoms at the same time for the S2 Pro, and some
> of their super sensor digicams. Are these amazing sensors made for
> Fuji by Sony? This question was met with hostility on the Fuji forum,
> but the concidence of the the time of the announcement and the
> identical problem is too great. for it not to be true.

It's incredibly expensive to run a semi-conductor fab facility.  A
couple of billion dollars just to get started and getting much more
expensive as time and density roll on.  There are actually not very many
semi-conductor fab houses in the world.

It may very well be that Fuji designed the sensor but had it
manufactured by Sony.  IBM, for example, manufactures a lot of solid
state chips for other companies that it didn't necessarily design or may
have only partially designed.  The intent is to spread the cost of those
expensive fab houses over as many parts as possible.  I'm sure Sony does
the same.

Chuck Norcutt