[OM] OT Motorcycling across the US & Canada

Subject: [OM] OT Motorcycling across the US & Canada
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:14:14 -0700
Andrew, it could be an amazing trip. I've done just a bit of touring, up and
down the West Coast, and up through British Columbia through the Yukon to
Alaska, as far east as Banff/Lake Louise and Montana...and I'd love to do
more. There's a cool organization I belong to that might make it more
possible, Transatlantic BikeShare. <http://www.bikeshareworld.com/> I've
done one share so far, to a well-experienced rider from the UK who borrowed
my R80G/S PD for a couple weeks. Worked out great. There are still thousands
of miles of great roads to ride here.

Did the Great Ocean Road south from Melbourne when there were still Twelve
Apostles, in a Kingswood, of all things. (One of the great motorcycling
roads of the world, according to the latest Rider magazine.) Then up the
Oodnadatta Track to Williams Creek, then Cooper Pedy and Ayre's Rock, as far
north as Alice Springs. Had a blast pretending to be Mad Max. We hooked up
with a guy riding a dirt bike--probably an XT225 or something like that--in
Adelaide. Carried gas for him through the desert. I'd love to ride some of
those roads on a big GS.

Slightly on topic.... I took all the photos on that trip in Oz with my
OM-1md and a 35-70/3.5-4.5. As soon as I get it together I've got to scan
some of those slides....

If you ever decide to make the trip, get in touch. I'd be glad to help you
plan, and point you to friendly people here.

Rob in Seattle