[OM] Re: E-500 specs (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 specs (long)
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Alan Wood wrote:

> I am not sure that you are correct.  I recently wanted to buy some Olympus
> microscope accessories.  Even with a 10% discount for payment with order,
> the price from Olympus UK was nearly double the price that USA dealers sell
> for.  Unfortunately, Olympus USA forbids exporting by their microscope
> dealers.

That's correct.  Each distributor sets their own prices and policies.
Usually a distributor is not allowed to sell into another distributor's
region but I suppose they are free to impose those restrictions on the
dealers as well.  It's likely a result of complaints from other dealers.
I'd find it astonishing if the UK prices were subsidising the USA ones.
                                        -mark