[OM] Re: More Dynamic Range

Subject: [OM] Re: More Dynamic Range
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:29:11 -0300
On 9/29/05, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, are you gonna tell us how you blended these most excellent
> composites or just leave us in the dark?

Not the original shooter so I'm just guessing but I'd do it by putting
each image in a separate layer and then use a layer mask to hide the
parts you don't want in the top layer. With the shot of the door I
suspect that he didn't completely mask out the brighter walls but left
them slightly transparent since they're a bit brighter than in the
dark shot. Either that or he played with the levels a bit.

> In looking at #1 it may be that an intermediate exposure was required
> but I'm not yet convinced.  The fundamental problem with the composite
> is that the walls in the window passage are brighter than the sky
> outside which makes it look "funny".

I agree. But I think it does need an intermediate exposure. The
darkest shot would be for the sky, the middle shot for the window
passage and the lightest shot for the walls. To me, the sky also looks
a bit dark but that could be because of the unnatural look from the
window passage being brighter.