[OM] Re: [lens] Re: E-500 specs (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: E-500 specs (long)
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:49:09 +1000
Very stringent laws designed to protect an often purely internal
concept of free enterprise. Ask the Tasmanian Fast Cat builder who
tried to sell them ships or the Aus. leather producer who thought
he'd got a GM contract for upholstery leather.
You can still see the occasional lens offered for sale with the name
ground off by some diligent customs official.
As far as I can see, a lot of it depends on the willingness of the
agency to pursue the legal restraints open to them against non-
approved imports - Mamiya was always particularly aggressive which is
why you don't see 'grey market' (sorry, gray) offers on their
products. Restraint of trade is reinterpreted as meaning that the
personal importer is restraining the legitimate agent's right to
trade. Hmmmm.
AndrewF