[OM] Re: E-500 specs (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 specs (long)
From: Alan Wood <alan.wood@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:16:45 +0100
Mark Dapoz wrote:

> I think you better check your facts there.  I highly
> doubt that European Olympus sales are subsidising
> American Olympus sales.  It comes down to a simple
> cost of doing business.  If Olympus America offers
> warranty service on something they didn't sell
> (and hence didn't get the profit), then that is a net
> loss for them.  Just like you wouldn't expect your
> local photo retailer to handle a warranty claim for
> something you ordered over the net.

I am not sure that you are correct.  I recently wanted to buy some Olympus
microscope accessories.  Even with a 10% discount for payment with order,
the price from Olympus UK was nearly double the price that USA dealers sell
for.  Unfortunately, Olympus USA forbids exporting by their microscope
dealers.

Alan Wood
http://www.alanwood.net (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)