[OM] Re: Thanks to all who have expressed concern & we are out of here!

Subject: [OM] Re: Thanks to all who have expressed concern & we are out of here!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:22:33 -0400
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Oh I don't know. Many years ago I saw a TV news report from the
> beachfront facing Galveston. Female reporter doing a 'to camera' in
> the lee of a building, shouting and leaning into the building
> windstorm with her hair and the debris flying - and on the bay behind
> her some way off, just for a moment, a windsurfer shot past barely
> touching water.
----------------------------------

Reminds me of the book "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry
Pournelle.  From a review in the Cleveland Plain-Dealer:

"The gigantic comet had slammed into Earth, forging earthquakes a
thousand times too powerful to measure on the Richter scale, tidal waves
thousands of feet high. Cities were turned into oceans; oceans turned
into steam. It was the beginning of a new Ice Age and the end of
civilization. But for the terrified men and women chance had saved, it
was also the dawn of a new struggle for survival--a struggle more
dangerous and challenging than any they had ever known...."

One of the scenes painted in the book is of a surfer determined to go
out with a bang.  He rides a comet induced tsunami about 100 (?) feet
high from off the coast of Los Angeles until it (and he) collide with a
building much higher than 100 feet.

Chuck Norcutt