[OM] Re: Color & exposure corrections - wasRe: Re: Indian flash slaves -

Subject: [OM] Re: Color & exposure corrections - wasRe: Re: Indian flash slaves - where's Tim?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:38:30 -0400
Jeff Keller wrote:

> My Photoshop skills are pretty limited. I need to learn how to select areas
> for masks so that I can do local corrections to exposure and color temp. A
> lot more light power, and color correction gels should get me pretty close
> to what I want very quickly. I've thought about changing light bulbs but if
> anything breaks and it takes a day or two to fix it, the cost of the delay
> would be great. Eventually I'll probably start having to do that for
> overhead fluorescent lights which aren't very common yet. For the counter
> lights, it appears that $30 worth of gel filters and some tape will be quick
> and low risk.
-----------------------------

It's usually not as complicated as actually selecting areas for a "mask"
which, I agree, can be very tedious and frequently doesn't work very
well.  I put "mask" in quotes because I would use a layer & mask
technique but I wouldn't try to actually draw out or select the area.

1) Add the layer of interest with proper color balance.
2) Add a mask to this layer and leave the mask selected.
3) Using the paint bucket pour black paint on the image which will cause
the mask to be painted totally black.
4) Select the image that has the mask
5) Using white paint with a low flow rate and opacity and a brush with
soft edges, slowly paint over the area with the corrected color which
will allow it to show through.  The slow flow rate of the paint and the
soft edges will allow you to control the degree of correction and
gradually blend into the surrounding area.
6) Swith to black paint to cover up any mistakes
7) Back to white paint to continue.

Try it.  I think you'll find it quite easy after a little practice.  The
same tricks work for lots of different compositing reasons.  I
frequently use it to restore blown highlights if they are recovreable
from the raw image.

Chuck Norcutt