[OM] Re: off camera flash recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: off camera flash recommendations
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:04:32 -0400
swisspace wrote:

> A friend of mine ;-) has three camera systems bronica etrsi olympus OM
> and olympus E-1.  He has a F280 but that is only good for the OM, he is
> thinking of getting an FL36 for the E system, but that leaves the
> bronica so he then wonders if there is a better solution for on and off
> camera flash such as a metz with grip and appropriate controllers.

I forgot to add that acquiring the Minolta A1 with its non-standard
hotshoe caused me to rethink whether I wanted to continue following the
dedicated flash scene (read expensive).  Long before I had OM-2s's and
multiple T-32's I used to shoot with a single Vivitar 283 on an OM-1
with the 283 in auto mode and usually bouncing off the ceiling.  Looking
back through old slides I can see that old 283 did a pretty damned good
job in auto mode.

Now, when shooting in modest, house size rooms with the A1 I generally
use a Sunpak 522 handle mount flash along with a Sunpak 422 in the
hotshoe with both set in auto mode.  The 422 points toward the subject
(usually bounced off the ceiling) and the 522 points up and off to the
side (or sometimes behind me) and the reflected light is aimed to take
in the subject and the background.  A couple of digital exposures and a
glance at the histogram is usually all it takes to get both flashes
adjusted via their ISO dials to make a good exposure.

Not quite so simple as automagic everything but it works very well and
is a LOT mo' cheaper.

Chuck Norcutt