[OM] Re: off camera flash recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: off camera flash recommendations
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:50:28 +0200
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> There's probably no better chance of TTL flash compatibility between
> these three systems than Metz but it appears that current Metz stuff
> doesn't support OM's and old Metz stuff doesn't support Oly digital.
> But wading through the specs on the Metz site it rough going.

That is not fully true. All new Metz flashes run
with the (new) SCA 3202 M4 adapter to support the
E-thingies AND they do run as well with the (old)
SCA 321 M4 adapter supporting all OM models. True
is: Metz doesn't make that SCA 321 adapter anymore
due to too low demand. But it gets sold at the *bay
every now and then.

SCA 321 does all a T-series flash does, except
the linear flash mode with OM 707 or OM-4T(i).
And the new SCA 3202 does not linear flash with
E-something either.

You even can setup a cordless multi TTL flash
combo, masterminded by an OM, by using Metz units
compatible with the SCA 3083 slave adapter.

> Except for the PC connector everything is propietary with later stuff
> taking on not only TTL control but lens focus distance, flash zoom
> control, radio control, etc, etc, etc.  You'll have to visit Metz's site
> <http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/> and look at the compatibility
> data for SCA adapters which is what I was compaining about above.
> <http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/sca_adapter.143.html>

So buying a new Metz flash unit allows use of both
Oly-systems and a-helleluva-lot of other brands as
well. But only the top line Metz models support
ALL stuff (like E-TTL and special N*kon flash
techniques). Play with the Metz site, it tells
all combinations ...

> Unfortunately it's not well explained and you can't see a big, all
> encompassing cross-reference table.  You have to enquire on each camera
> model separately.  There's also something about compatibility with SCA
> 3002 cables which I found a total mystery.  My impression is that Metz
> is paying much less attention to Oly digital than they used to pay to
> OM's with their older stuff.  Maybe it's just that Oly is playing the
> proprietary game a bit harder and have made their control signals more
> difficult to decipher.

That is kinda true. I think the other brands make
MUCH more of Metz' market than Oly. N*kon, C*non
and P*ntax get supported by fixed shoe models as
well, no other brand than these.

By the way, Metz' support via email is very helpful,
at least I got all my (sometimes) strange questions
answered.

Andreas