[OM] Re: film for astrophotography

Subject: [OM] Re: film for astrophotography
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:52:01 +0200
<<
With the availability of the observatory at my university, I've decided
to try my hand at astrophotography.  I understand that the old tech pan
film was some of the most desireable, but with it having been
discontinued, what are some other good choices for both monochrome and
color?  Something without major reciprocity failure in long exposures. . .

Charles,

the choice of film depends also on what you are trying to shot.
Generally speaking, most of the bw film are not too sensitive to the red,
where is the peak brightness of nebulae.
One notable exception is TP 2415, both red sensitive and of low reciprocity
defect.
For galaxies and star clusters you could also use Tri-X pushed to 1600 asa.
For color film one good choice is Ektachrome 200 Professional
wich I used in the near past (I don't know if it has the same name now).
It can be pushed 1 or 2 stop with very good results.
One film that can also be good reading the specs is Provia 100F, but I
don't have used it.
When I have some time I should post some photos obtained mainly with a
135mm.

Ralf Loi