[OM] Re: Retirement ... my feelings about the list

Subject: [OM] Re: Retirement ... my feelings about the list
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:05:04 +0200
Last week I was pondering a photography problem and my wife said why
don't you ask your friends about it. It took me back, Friends is a word
I reserve for true friends only, I have many acquaintances and pals but
only a handful of true friends, then it got me thinking about this list
is every one a friend, maybe, a certain comardarie exists similar to the
one I had when I used to trail ride, you had to rely on each other and
friendships built up were solid unlike normal friendships made in other
parts of life - Is this really possible from a list probably not but I
am pretty confident that any problem  I have  can be solved here - even
photographic ones ;-)

I like the list, but it is a pain that when you go away for a week or
two and the volume of emails is too great to read,  maybe I wish the OT
marker is used more, but the list is active, its the only one I bother
to read and keep up with unless I have been away from mail to long when
I just have to use the mark all read option.

But if you don't allow the list to be active and occasionally wander off
topic then will it not become boring and die, for me personally the list
is making me take more photographs especially when seeing what others
can manage to do - I know its not the equipment.

I don't personally hold by the digital versus film stuff, I don't see a
moral difference between a digital image from a camera or a scanner,
what digital does allow though is for people to easily share their work,
imagine having to print out 50, 100 or more copies and sending  them to
everyone else on list, which in my opinion is better than having a box
full of slides or prints  that only a few will get to see. Life is all
about compromise and for me this list, has, at most times the right amount.

I didn't mark this as OT as it refers to the essence of the list ;-)

Ian