[OM] Re: OT: Internet support - was Re: Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- so

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Internet support - was Re: Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:32:33 +0100
Nice!

2741 was a bit before my time - and the wrong brand.  I have clear memories
of using the LA36 Decwriter connected to a timesharing system through a
special phone with 300baud modem.  It's on the right here:
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/pdp11.html and was OK for a page or two
of output at 30cps - getting multipart reports printed out required a walk
down the road to borrow time on the head office finance department PDP11/70,
with its lineprinter, a fearsome beast indeed:
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/lp20.html which sat alongside the
PDP11.  Curiously, they trusted me to log in and input my remote job to get
the print out running.  Must be because a PDP11 wasn't a real computer.

How times have changed...

--
Piers