[OM] Re: OT: Internet support - was Re: Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- so

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Internet support - was Re: Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:32:20 -0300
On 9/9/05, Jeff Keller <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Speaking of internet support and stupidity - does anyone have a
> recommendation for learning some simple CGI, ideally perl? Since I already
> know some perl is it better to stick with it or learn PHP?
>
> -jeff
> (I just finished asking support to kill a perl script that wanted to run
> forever - seems CGI perl isn't the same as perl)... I'm trying to make it
> easy for a writer to fill in a web page form to modify a template to create
> a new web page.

For books the classic is still "Programming Perl" (aka "The Camel
Book") from O'Reilly. I also found "Learning Perl" (a Llama on the
cover of that one) good too. The Camel Book is more of a function
reference I found where Learning Perl takes you through learning the
language.

Perl should be pretty much the same regardless of the context it's run
under other than possibly some slight variations if the version is
different. But, I know that when you run it from the command-line it
will usually force a break if it gets stuck in an infinite loop, could
be that the web server has a different perl interpretor (such as an
embedded one for better performance) that's not breaking infinite
loops.