[OM] Re: Searching for a little balance

Subject: [OM] Re: Searching for a little balance
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 21:32:26 -0300
On 9/9/05, R. Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This guy sent me a nasty little private letter to effectively telling
> me that I'm a liar who doesn't understand the true goodness that is
> Bill Barber and that maybe if I sit back and reflect enough I'll
> understand that my opinions are just plain wrong and his are right. I
> never solicited private email from this guy in the first place. To me
> getting that email wasn't a lot different than getting any other type
> of SPAM. What really shows someone's "true character" in my opinion
> (which you may be in complete disagreement with) is a willingness to
> snipe at people privately with comments they'd never want people to
> know they were willing to make.

Um let's see, it's usually considered common courtesy to take
disagreements like this off-list (and I don't just mean on this list
but in general). Yes there tends to be a lot of off-topic stuff on
this list but if it turns into a flame war between a couple list
members it's better if that's taken off the list so the rest of us
don't have to read it.

As for calling his message spam, I'd hardly call it that. If you want
to get anal (and for some reason I suspect you do), the most commonly
accepted definition of spam is UCE or unsolicited commercial email.
I'd certainly argue that posting on a mailing list solicits responses
both on-list and off but you obviously don't share that opinion. But
it still fails that test because it's not a commercial email.

But given that you've expended the time an effort to send 5 emails to
the list just related to Bill's private email to you I suspect that
you're far more interested in being right than in any actual
discussion. Let's just leave it at that.