[OM] [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.

Subject: [OM] [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:18:54 +0000
I was perhaps a bit harsh yesterday in my comments about the insurance
business.  Blame it on my perspective.  The vantage point from which we observe
anything influences and affects how we perceive and judge it.  By the time any
issue makes it into court, events and discussions precedent thereto involving
the matter obviously have not gone well, to say the least.

I might compare the different views of the industry expressed here to the
parable of the three blind men examining an elephant.  Bill Barber, an
insurance agent, could be the man in front, holding onto the trunk, feeding the
beast peanuts and marveling at its clever dexterity and appetite.

Tom Scales, whose actual connection with the insurance industry is not real
clear to me, though I suspect it has to do with massive number-crunching or
some sort of computerized activity, might well be the man at the side of the
elephant, with arms outstretched, leaning against the behemoth, feeling its
great mass and astounded by its size and obvious strength.

My vantage point would be like that of the guy in the rear, holding onto the
tail, standing knee-deep in dung, and breathing elephant farts.

Apologies to those my opinions may have offended.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --