[OM] Re: ZD 35-100mm f2 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: ZD 35-100mm f2 Review
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:57:07 -0300
On 8/26/05, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.flourish.org/upsidedownmap/
> "The most surprising thing was that I found it surprising. It is
> completely artificial that we have North at the top of a map. The
> convention came a few centuries ago when Northern hemisphere,
> European navigators started using the North star and the magnetic
> compass. Before that, the top of the map was to the East which is
> where the word orientation comes from."

Found the site pretty interesting. I own a map of the Russian
Federation (in Russian) which is centered on Russia as the author of
the site mentions. It really does help to show how much of a
difference the way the map is centered and the way in which it's
projected onto a 2-dimensional surface can change the way it looks.