[OM] Re: ZD 35-100mm f2 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: ZD 35-100mm f2 Review
From: David Carter <spotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:02:32 +1200

Andrew Fildes wrote: On 26/08/2005, at 9:31 AM, Stephen Troy wrote: At 09:54
AM 8/26/2005 +1200, David Carter wrote: Our logic isn't upside-down, it's
down-under. Somewhere around here is the map to prove it I respectfully
disagree. If I turn my globe so that Australia is on the top half, the
writing is definitely upside-down. Steve Troy That's because it's made in
theUS and we all know how ethnocentric you guys are. There is a revised and
true map which shows Australia in its correct up-over orientation (after
all,as Einstein pointed out...) reminding us that putting north to the top
ismerely a convention applied by a self-interested cartel of Northern
Big-endian cartographers. Makes sense if you give it some thought as the
world would swing so that all the weight is at the bottom - only the hot air
slowed it down. http://www.flourish.org/upsidedownmap/[1] "The most
surprising thing was that I found it surprising. It is completely artificial
that we have North at the top of a map. The convention came a few centuries
ago when Northern hemisphere, European navigators started using the North
star and the magnetic compass. Before that, the top of the map was to the
East which is where the word orientation comes from." I'm working at getting
them to rename the site 'rightsideupmap'. The only problem is that the true
map shows New Zealand at the top of the world but, don't panic, we're
workingon that one. AndrewF right where we belong :-) :-) :-)

PS the magnetic compass is moving, from 17 off true a few years ago to 6
degrees, now. After it reaches true north, it is predicted to migrate to
justover NZ.

Furthermore, before we had the globe, something called the flat earth
societyexisted, and possibly still does on the other side of the equator