[OM] Re: ZD 35-100mm f2 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: ZD 35-100mm f2 Review
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:11:43 +1000

On 26/08/2005, at 9:31 AM, Stephen Troy wrote:

> At 09:54 AM 8/26/2005 +1200, David Carter wrote:
>
>> Our logic isn't upside-down, it's down-under.
>> Somewhere around here is the map to prove it
>>

> I respectfully disagree.  If I turn my globe so that Australia is
> on the
> top half, the writing is definitely upside-down.
>
> Steve Troy

That's because it's made in the US and we all know how ethnocentric
you guys are. There is a revised and true map which shows Australia
in its correct up-over orientation (after all, as Einstein pointed
out...) reminding us that putting north to the top is merely a
convention applied by a self-interested cartel of Northern Big-endian
cartographers. Makes sense if you give it some thought as the world
would swing so that all the weight is at the bottom - only the hot
air slowed it down.

http://www.flourish.org/upsidedownmap/
"The most surprising thing was that I found it surprising. It is
completely artificial that we have North at the top of a map. The
convention came a few centuries ago when Northern hemisphere,
European navigators started using the North star and the magnetic
compass. Before that, the top of the map was to the East which is
where the word orientation comes from."

I'm working at getting them to rename the site 'rightsideupmap'. The
only problem is that the true map shows New Zealand at the top of the
world but, don't panic, we're working on that one.
AndrewF