[OM] Re: Workshop photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Workshop photos
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:33:16 -0400
James Royall wrote:
> One thing i found was that shutter speed had to be surprisingly high
> if I was moving and the subject was moving - around a 250th or higher
> I would say. Which means either very bright light or faster film -
> better a bit of grain / noise and a sharp image than seeing a good
> shot you have to bin because it's all soft. I would avoid the shady
> side of the street even when sunny and go for iso 400 on a cloudy day.

I think the surprise here is that the 35mm rule of thumb we've all grown
up with to prevent motion blur (minimum shutter speed = reciprocal of
lens focal length) doesn't work anymore for the E-1 because you now have
to magnify the image twice as much to make a print.

If using 35mm and a 50mm lens you'd say shoot at a minimum of 1/60th if
just the subject was moving.  If you're moving too then up it to
1/125th.  Now double it because the 50mm is on an E-1 and we find that
we're at James's empirical observation of 1/250th.

Chuck Norcutt