[OM] Re: Workshop photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Workshop photos
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:34:15 -0400
Earl Dunbar wrote:

> ...I haven't done a lot of shooting using hyperfocal distance for
> awhile, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to recover that skill quickly
> enough.

> I plan on taking the 35SP and an OM-1n (or perhaps a 2n) with the 28/2.8
> or 28/3.5 and /maybe/ the 21/2. I need to travel very light, so unless
> anyone has other suggestions, this is the kit.  Hyperfocal focusing
> should be pretty easy with the wides on the OM, and slightly more fussy
> on the SP w/ it's perfect 42mm focal length.  ;-)

Hyperfocal table good enough for 8x10.
Near focus = 1/2 hyperfocal distance.
Far focus  = infinity.

        Hyperfocal distance in feet
f/ratio 42mm    28mm    21mm
======= =====   =====   =====
  2.8   62      28      16
  4     44      20      11
  5.6   32      14       8
  8     22      10       5.5
11      16       7       4
16      11       5       2.8

Since you have lenses here which are a factor of 2x apart in focal
length it is easy to see the relationship of hyperfocal distance and
focal length.  Cutting the focal length by a factor of 2 causes the
hyperfocal distance to shrink by a factor of 4 or 2 squared.  Opening
the lens by two stops causes the hyperfocal distance to shrink by a
factor of 2 and opening one stop by a factor of 1.4 or the square root of 2.

Enjoy,
Chuck Norcutt