[OM] Re: Workshop photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Workshop photos
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:01:40 +0100
I think #12 is my favourite because of the expressions and her hand.
I do like #1 and #8 also, but they were easier - find an background
that's going to work and wait for someone to come along who goes well
with it. You do still have to get the shot - I'm still kicking myself
I missed a few good ones. With most of the other photos I was trying
to capture the fleeting expressions of people reacting to each other,
or just reacting to their situation. I had to give up trying to raise
the camera to my eye to frame, as there isn't time. I just kept it at
chest height and shot people as they passed by, or I passed by them.
You can see from the viewpoint of the photos that it's below head
height (I'm not 4 feet tall!). I got surprisingly good at framing
without looking through the camera, though I think that a degree of
randomness in the framing suits the subjects and I'm not a purist who
doesn't crop. The other advantage of not raising the camera is that
people didn't know I was taking a picture and so react to me - all
the shots are taken at a max of 50mm and the majority at a focal
length below (35mm perspective), so I had to get close - with #12
(and about half of the others) I took it without breaking stride, as
I would have had to stop right in front of them, no more than four
feet away.

Thanks to all for your positive feedback.

James