[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:13:31 -0700
On Jul 29, 2005, at 11:58 AM, AG Schnozz wrote:

> Face it. You've always wanted a Nikon or Leica.  If you're like
> me, you got the Olympus because it was a poor-man's Leikon.
> It's hard to be passionate about Canon.  Sorry, but that's just
> my attitude.

Heh...you know, my dad had a Graflex 22 that he mainly used. He had a
big Polaroid 95 that he used sometimes and a Bell and Howell 8mm
movie camera, but when he was being "serious" he always used the
Graflex. When he gave me my first camera it was a Kodak Instamatic
X-15. I guess I was about 5. I thought loading a 126 film cartridge
and keeping fresh flash cubes in my camera bag made me some kind of
photography expert. When I was about 10 I got a Yashica TL Electro
with a 50mm f1.9 lens and became completely caught up in photography.
I eventually bought two 2x teleconverters so I could "quickly"
<cough> go from a 50mm f1.9 to a 100mm f3.8 to a 200mm f7.6. A couple
of years later my folks decided it was time I got a nicer camera and
they bought me a C@non A-1 with a winder and a couple of lenses. I'd
have been fine with that if I'd never gone to the Tampa Tribune's
annual photo show at the old Curtis Hixon center. They were bench-
testing cameras for free and then the meter results were put up on a
bulletin board. My camera wasn't even close to accurate and the
errors were all over the place, not consistently one way or the
other. It was the first time I'd really had the opportunity to rub
shoulders with working photographers and a few of them who were
hanging around showed me how useless my metered manual mode was on
the A-1 and let me check out their cameras. Most of them were using
Nik0ns, but one guy had an OM-1n and compared to it my A-1 was a big,
clunky brick. It was a tough sell to the folks since I'd pretty much
just bought the A-1, but my 90-230mm lens was TX-mount and I could
use it with an Oly. One of mom's friends was willing to give me a
fairly decent price for the A-1 and I never looked back. I got an
OM-2n in about '78 and haven't had the urge to use anything other
than Olympus cameras ever since. I look a lot, but there's just never
anything persuasive enough about the features to draw me away from
the Oly. Not to mention the glass being excellent. I finally got a
used OM-4T about four or five years ago and that's been great.

I was never really attracted to those expensive little rangefinders
or the big, clunky F-series. Maybe ignorance really is bliss. ;-)