[OM] Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Confession time...
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:23:05 +1000
At 03:19 PM 25/07/2005 -0700, Winsor wrote:
>I came across this today in a guest article today...
>www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/enough-already.shtml

Today I spotted an E-300 kit for AU$999.  Yes, I was tempted.  Sorry Earl,
I have been weakening!

But then I read on the list of the problems people are having with their
E-1's.  Customizing the camera via the menu system.  Flashing lights going
berserk.  Everything going dead.

Then I read the Luminous Landscape article and I came to my senses.

To quote - When I am out in the field photographing, I enter what for me is
a 'sacred space.'  By this, I mean that I do not want to be disturbed in
the field by the technology of the camera. Rather, I want to feel free,
open to the moment and absorbed by the beauty of the view in front of me.
It's not about the camera, but about the moment. Given my feelings, I do
not want a computer strapped to the back of my lens, with twenty-plus
levels of menus, more buttons than are needed to launch a nuclear missile,
and the perpetual pause to monitor that "all systems are GO!

The article crystallized it for me beautifully.  For 30 years I have got by
with my OM-1, her and I have produced some magnificent photos (she's now
touring the world on the Olympus Odyssey).

No flashing lights or menus.  I just attach a Zuiko to the front and I
enter that 'sacred space' without even thinking about it.  There's no
technology in my camera to get in the way.

I don't know why I have been tempted by the dark side.  But no more.  I am
off to spend part of that $999 on some Efke 25 and then I'll be keeping an
eye on the 'Bay for that 6x7 Durst I've always wanted.

That 'sacred space' is where I want to stay.  Earl - I'm back for good!

Andrew McPhee