[OM] Re: #233

Subject: [OM] Re: #233
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:34:55 +0100
The canals were originally built by private enterprise, before even the days
of the first "Companies Act", and if my memory serves, they were built by
local landowners to faciltate bulk transport of minerals, fuel etc from the
source (on their land) to the growing demand of the industrial revolution.
In one case I can think of, the landowner tunneled a canal ino a local
hillside to get at limestone and coal deposits from the site of his
limekilns, and ironworks, then continued through the hill and out the other
side to link up with a canal which provided access to market for his iron.

The canals passed into public ownership in 1948 (at the same time as the
railways), and gradually became (at best) waterways for leisure or (at
worst) linear dumps which were gradually cleaned up and restored for
navigation.  More recently, I heard that they are being exploited for the
extensive network of rights-of-way they have, as routes for trunk
telecommunications cabling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_British_canal_system

--
Piers