[OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue

Subject: [OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:52:39 -0500
Moose,

The sample prints were viewed both with the nekkid eye and the loupe. The
point was to compare the various printers and their ability to resolve fine
detail. For example, is the printer that exposes the paper with color lasers
worth ten to twenty times more than the one with LED's? How about the one
that uses a crt (!) to expose the paper?

There were other differences, of course, but the goal was to compare the
various technologies. For the consumer, ther may be nothing of value,, but
to a business owner contemplating a very expensive purchase, this was just
one of the steps. I'm of the opinion that resolved fine detail that is
considered too small to be seen by the naked eye does indeed contribute to
the overall appearance of the finished print.

In my opinion, none of these are able to reproduce film grain, and that's
what makes the difference in appearance between a digital and an optical
print.

Bill