[OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue

Subject: [OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:05:07 -0700
R.Jackson wrote:

>This is very interesting. There seems to be an overall effect of the
>blending that influences saturation and masks some of the plastic-y
>feeling that video sensors often have.

Noise effects much more than just "graininess". AG just commented on the
effect of iso on the skin tones in his work, because the noise at
different isos made subtle changes in color balance. That is probably
part of the reason it is so difficult to pin down the difference between
digital and film, the difference in amount and structure of noise
effects much more than one might imagine.

It's very interesting to move the transparency slider back and forth on
the grain layer and watch what happens to the image.

>As has so often been the case,  my eyes have been opened to possibilities here
>on this list that I have not been exposed to elsewhere. Thanks Moose.

You are very welcome. I learned too, by following up an idea I hadn't
gotten around to testing before.

>And thanks Mr. Maitani, wherever you are. ;-)

Thanks to him from me too!

Moose