[OM] Skintones revisited

Subject: [OM] Skintones revisited
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:13:48 -0700 (PDT)
Recently I yacked about the skintones of the E-1 as compared to
the A1.  Well, on the computer screen the differences are very
noticable. I worked very hard at getting the in-camera settings
to match images as much as possible. While they matched very
closely, the shadows took on a different hue in the A1 shots.

Then I discovered something:

The A1 was shot at ISO 200 (effectively ISO 320) which raised
the noise-level a bit. The hue change was caused mostly by the
noise!  Doing a little denoisification neutralized them a lot.
Hmm.  More work is necessary.  However, I printed up two nearly
identical pictures from the E-1 and A1 and in 5x7 size the
differences are negligable if even visible at all!  It just goes
to show that you can't trust everything you see on the computer
screen!

I've got a little more tweeking to go with the in-camera A1
images, but fortunately, I've got a zillion parameters to adjust
with. (WB, Saturation, tint, contrast, etc...).

Instead of getting another E-1 right away, I'll be getting
another 285HV, Ultra-bounce and identical stroboframe. This way
the camera outfits become totally interchangeable.  I've got to
spend this $200 anyway--might as well continue to use the camera
I already have.

What comes natively with the E-1 (skintones), requires work with
other cameras, but with a fantastic camera like the M*nolta A1,
at least I can get it close enough for gov'ment work.  Images
shot at ISO 100 (effective 160), with my convoluted in-camera
settings are very, very close.

I know it isn't cool to promote another brand on this list, but
I do have to do another kudos to M*nolta.  The A1 is extremely
neutral in color, but allows you to tweek in whatever
characteristic you want--in camera!  I just have to throw more
flash horsepower at it.

AG

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail