[OM] Re: #225

Subject: [OM] Re: #225
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:18:05 +0100
Yes the angle that a prop blade is set at is the blade angle, to the
best of my recollection.  But the washout ("twist") on a  prop blade
is set so that each part of a blade is travelling at close to the
same speed, rather than to improve its efficiency per se (although it
will be more efficient with washout than without of course).  You
might be talking about a variable pitch, or constant speed,
propellor.  As the aircraft's forward speed increases, the effective
angle of attack of each blade decreases so the blade's pitch is
increased.  That improves the efficiency of the propellor by allowing
it to maintain similar effectiveness over a larger range of speeds.

I have not flown prop aircraft until I started teaching flying in one
(Grob 115E) in 2001 and I had to learn this stuff only so that I
could regrade as an "A2 QFI" ...

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker