[OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:20:53 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>But the 7D is no slouch on noise either. The Canon is still better
>(especially considering 8MP vs 6MP) but it's certainly not a 2 stop
>advantage. <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/page18.asp>

I think dpreview has the most comprehensive and consistent tests around,
but this comparison doesn't seem right to me.

As the reviewer notes, the 7D clearly takes steps to reduce noise at
higher isos at the cost of detail and sharpness.

I wish they had done a comparison using RAW and setting comparable
levels of noise reduction and sharpening. Then I think the noise level
difference would be greater.

> So, can you have your cake and eat it too?

As long as you don't mind a slightly fuzzier cupcake. :-)

Don't get me wrong, I think the 7D is a very nice camera. But not as low
noise as one might think without looking closely.

Moose