[OM] Re: Sigma 600mm mirror lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma 600mm mirror lens
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:54:30 -0300

> Better you should put a shorter, faster lens in a blind prefocused to
> the correct spot and then fire the camera remotely.  Probably not what
> you wanted to hear.
>
> Good luck,
> Chuck Norcutt

I used to have a Vivitar 400/5.6 that I used to capture bird shots. The only
success I had with it was to "control" where the bird landed by setting up
an artificial environment shot at the bird feeder. Even then, it was very
difficult. I found it easier to use the 50/1.8, set the camera closer, and
trip the shutter with a long air release, or better, use the C5050 and
remote release.
Long lens would probably work for sneaking up on birds nesting on the
ground, etc. However, for me the longer lenses works best with a bigger
subject, like moose, as you don't need to get quite so close to fill the
frame.
Wayne