[OM] Re: 2X Macro Teleconverter Modification

Subject: [OM] Re: 2X Macro Teleconverter Modification
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:48:48 -0400
Hi Dave,

I have contemplated this suggestion as well. Having had a spare Vivitar
version available I dissected it with the intention of trying this
modification out. The lens elements are not as simple to remove as in the
Vivitar 2x21 as they are glued in place for optical alignment. It may also
be necessary to have a lens spanner available to loosen some of the rings to
complete removal in stages. In other words it does not appear to be a single
insert like the 2x21 and its ilk. Reinstating it to correct optical
performance may not be possible at home. What ultimately caused me to stop
the investigation was the potentially small hole that would be left after
the removal and its resultant vignetting. I determined that I would rather
not risk wrecking the otherwise clean example of the TC I was looking at.
Now if a fungused or otherwise optically impaired example came into my hands
I would go straight ahead and do it. The short vari-tube that resulted would
be rather handy I would imagine.

HTH, Dan S.

From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of DACattani@xxxxxxx
Subject: [OM] 2X Macro Teleconverter Modification

The recent discussion on removing the glass from a fixed 2X teleconverter
get an extension tube of about 21mm made me wonder...
Has anyone tried modifying one of those 2X macro variable teleconverters in

a similar way to get a short, variable length macro tube? I have one sold by

Teleplus which hasn't been used for its intended purpose for a while. I
think
Vivitar and Promaster sold them as well. Look like the same model,
actually.
If it doesn't do what I desire, I can always epoxy the glass back in
there...should be okay :-)
Dave in Denver