[OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:15:04 -0400
Richard Lovison wrote:

> I was seriously considering purchasing the E-300 kit until I read the
> following review:
>
> http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Olympus-EVOLT-E-300-Digital-Camera-Review.htm
>
> The color rendition and resolution seems to leave a lot to be desired
> though the low $600's price tag for the kit looked attractive.

Check dpreview's coverage of the color and resolution on the E-300.
You'll get a totally different story.  I trust dpreview.com.  Slight
Canon bias I think but pretty honest and analytical.

Comparison to Canon 300D
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/page22.asp>
"The color response between the two cameras is similar expect for the
EOS 300D's paler blues and the E-300's slightly orange reds. The E-300's
resolution advantage is quite clear, it has some 400 more vertical
pixels (about 20%) than the EOS 300D and is hence able to resolve more
detail in various areas of the image."

Comparison to Nikon D70
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/page23.asp>
"The Nikon's color balance is definitely closer to the original scene,
its reds are purer (no hue shift towards purple or orange) and its blue
is more accurate. The E-300's resolution advantage here is even more
pronounced (22% more vertical pixels). Nikon's much more neutral
approach to image processing leaves the image looking a little 'flatter'
(lower contrast) and less sharpened (although without any nasty
sharpening artifacts)."

Comparison to Canon 20D
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/page24.asp>
"We'll get the obvious out of the way first, the E-300 is not designed
to compete with the EOS 20D. The EOS 20D body is $500 more than the
E-300 kit... the E-300 continues its vertical resolution advantage,
although with the EOS 20D it's down to just 112 pixels (5% more)."

"First color and tone, the tonal response between these two cameras is
virtually identical (default parameters), however as with the EOS 300D
the 20D's blues are a little paler and the E-300's reds have an orange
hue shift compared to the EOS 20D. From a resolution and detail point of
view it's pretty close, both cameras resolve similar amounts of
information from the scene although the EOS 20D image appears to be
sharper out of the camera with better per-pixel crispness."

Chuck Norcutt

ps:  Don't take this as a recommendation to go out and buy an E-300.
I've never even seen one.  However, I thought the review at the link you
posted was so biased and erroneous that I had to respond.