[OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:40:49 -0700
R. Jackson wrote:

>Some really good points to consider. Thanks. You're right about the
>zooms being nice, too. I guess it's just a question of getting used
>to the sticker shock. What appear to be the nice zooms in the C@non
>lineup at the 16-35mm f2.8 ($1400), the 24-70mm f2.8 ($1100) and the
>70-200mm f2.8 IS ($1700).

OK, read my recent post about Can*n lenses. The 16-35/2.8 isn't as good
optically as the 17-35/4. I don't know much about the 24-70/2.8, but
I'll bet it isn't any better optically than the 24-85/3.5-4.5. The
70-200/2.8 is a pretty much universally acclaimed lens, but big and
expensive. Do you really want to carry such a monster around? The
70-200/4 is an excellent lens that's cheaper and samller and lighter.

As Winsor's post points out, digital is different, and requires some
mind set changes. In his case, the idea that zooms are at least as good
as virtually all primes. In the case of the lens choice you are looking
at, the change is about speed. All those and the other very fast lenses
in the Can*n line-up are nice, but were primarily developed with the
cnaracteristics of film in mind. With the Can*n DSLRs, speed just isn't
such an issue for normal use. The DRebels have less noise/grain at iso
800 than film at iso 200 and the 20D is even better.

> Pretty brutal. Buy all three and you've  spent over $4K on three lenses. Of
> course, looking at those is in
>keeping with a full-frame mindset.

Yup, and that ain't where it needs to be. A Tokina 12-24 and a Tamron
28-300 combo costs all of $870 and covers the 35 mm equivalent of
19-480mm on the 1.6x sensors. Or you can go for a 24-200 lens if the
little 38-45 mm gap bothers you and the long end isn't that important.
There are some really first rate lenses out there at reasonable prices.

>I've considered buying an EOS-1v and shooting film for a while as I get lenses
>and get used to the way their stuff works, but it's just so hard to walk away
>from Olympus.

Just one man's opinion, but I think that's crazy talk! Going backwards
and spending a lot of unnecessary money.

For what all that stuff costs, you could get an E-300 kit, a 300D and
the two above lenses, use them until it's clear which system works best
for you, sell the other, and come out way ahead in $$. Then use the rest
to buy a higher end body and/or more lenses for the system you choose.

Moose