[OM] Re: Reasonable request

Subject: [OM] Re: Reasonable request
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:08:47 +0200

On 15 Jun 2005, at 20:28, AG Schnozz wrote:

> List Mom wrote:
>> Roger Skully should hereby have been unsubscribed.
>
> Don't let this happen to you.
>
> What the L.M. didn't mention is that whoever unsubscribes gets
> all of the filtered spam forwared to them.

Speaking of spam, btw....here're some facts which may be interesting
(or not...):

The amount of spam which the addresses, associated with this list
(olympus@ olympus-owner@ olympus-request@) receives today has climbed
steadily, and now amounts to ~1200 pieces of spam/day -- that is, after
my spam-filter has taken the top off of it. It also explains why I,
occasionally, may miss a request-for-something among the flood.

Add to that bounces from listees going on vacation, changing
email-addresses without unsubscribing, having ISP's that do stupid
things to their mailserver etc., which is ~400 pieces/day -- that's the
"stuff" that I usually try to do something about (in a more or less
patient fashion).It's only fun so many times to convince various ISPs
to behave correctly -- it often goes like this: "No, this is a
MAILING-LIST......nono, not SPAM, mail...you know, a mail-reflector
that you sign up for? No no, it has nothing to do with spam, really,
your customer actually asked for these emails. No, it's not the same as
a WWW-forum, it's a mail-reflector -- what? No, I am not selling
email-address lists to mass-marketers, that's not what a mailing-list
is....." -- at which point I either explain how the Internet works (!)
-- or start looking forward to the evening drink while producing
graphic images in my of the ISP-employee be crushed under a falling Sun
E10K....

Of course, it could be worse....until recently, it was about 100-200 of
those ISP-induced bounces more per day -- until a seasoned listee among
us had enough of a particularly un-responsive (and irresponsible) ISP
and axed his connection with them to get one that actually works. Hi
Bill -- I  owe you a beer or something for that some day ;)

> AG-List Lap-dog

Well, as long as you stay off the furniture....;)

--thomas