[OM] Re: This would never happen with your OM images

Subject: [OM] Re: This would never happen with your OM images
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:08:55 -0400
If your magician is unable to recover your data and, assuming you
haven't heard obvious crunching and grinding sounds (indicating
mechanical failure) I would:

a) Contact the manufacturer (Seagate, Maxtor or Western Digital) and see
if they will attempt (non data destructive) repair or
b) Search the bay or elsewhere for an identical drive, preferably still
NIB, and move the new circuit board to the old drive.

Next, copy old data to new drive + backup drive.  If drive is factory
repair then electronics are probably new with old mechanicals.  Discard
it.  Drives are cheap enough that it's not worth risking a second
failure.  If drive was repaired via borrowing from identical NIB drive
then return electronics to new drive and discard old drive.

Wipe the old drive clean of data before discarding or else open case and
crunch the disks before discarding.  The CIA will probably still be able
to recover the data but they'll probably not bother.

Good luck,
Chuck Norcutt