[OM] Re: This would never happen with your OM images

Subject: [OM] Re: This would never happen with your OM images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:22:50 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>If your magician is unable to recover your data and..............

I absolutely agree. I've had to help people at work with crashed drives
in the past. Classic cases of doing work really valuable to the company
in a hurry and not backing up. In both cases, specialty restorers were
able to get everything back. These aren't the local magician, who is
generally limited to repairing FAT damage, etc.Very few crashes are
actual disk damaging events.

What the told me was  that even when the hardware fails, there is
usually no damage to the magnetic surface and when there is, it's
usually only a track or two. They kept on hand examples of virtually
every hard disk model made. So if the circuit board replacement doesn't
work, all still may not be lost. These kind of folks can take the disks
themselves and mount them in working hardware to recover the data.

I can't recall what it cost. I know it wasn't cheap, but we were in a
great hurry, so paid for rush service. Might be worth checking into.
Son't know what the market is likd now, but a few years ago, the people
I used didn't charge if they couldn't get the data back.

Gook Luck!

Moose