[OM] Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:08:01 -0400
Peter Leyssens wrote:

> I've been looking at a Vosonic 2160 backup device.  It has no screen to
> check if the CF was copied succesfully, but I can get an 80gb model for
> 179 euro !  Sounds like a better investment than the fancy Epson P-2000
> that looks very desirable but triple the price, and I really don't need
> MP3-video-stuff on a holiday on a shoestring :-P
>
> Is anybody using this machine (Vosonic 2160 X'S Drive II+) ?  I found a
> review on photographyblog.com, but tales of hands-on experience are
> appreciated !

A friend has the original X-drive with a 20GB drive.  It seems to work
well.  Never known it to fail.  You just have to trust it since, without
a laptop to view the file names and images you really can't be sure that
it's done the job.  I'm not sure if the X-drive II has any more smarts
but the X-drive can't sort out what it might have previously downloaded.
  If you stick the same card in twice, once when half full and then
again when completely full you'll get (as best I can recall) two
folders.  One with half the images and another with all the images.

It used to be that he used the X-drive and a laptop such that he'd have
two copies of all images until he got back to the studio and copied and
backed them up for real.  These days, however, he generally has enough
CF capacity to cover a complete event without having to reuse any of the
CF cards.  Therefore, the X-drive has tended to fall into disuse as the
laptop and original CF cards give the required reduncancy.

Anyhow, despite the lack of smarts I'd have to call the X-drive
recommended.  Inexpensive and it just seems to work.

I'll even give you some training in how to use it.
a) turn unit on.
b) insert CF card.
c) check for ready indicator
d) push "copy" button
e) go do something else for awhile.

I've never used it beyond this point as we've never had to use it to
actually recover any images.  He has always taken care of hooking it up
as a USB (1.1?) device and doing the clean up.  I haven't checked the
specs but assume the X-drive II must be a USB 2.0 device.

Chuck Norcutt